Good morning everyone! I’m back with your new copy of the Austin Daily. Let’s start this Tuesday off right with a quick rundown of everything you need to know about what’s happening in the city.
Sit comfortably and grab your morning java as we dive into:
- Austin is reportedly currently the top metropolis in the US when it comes to job creation.
- HAAM Day is back with its first in-person event in three years!
- A teenager hit a pedestrian in North Austin and fled the area.
- Free virtual workouts, live music and much more ➡️
First today’s weather:
Sunny and very warm. High: 97 Low: 71.
👀 Attention local businesses & marketers: Attract more Austin customers by sponsoring this daily newsletter, read by the same people you want to reach. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Austin today:
1) Austin is reportedly currently the top metropolis in the US for job creation. Workforce Solutions tells KVUE that Austin-area job creation grew 16 percent from 2016 to 2021, while the national average grew 1.8 percent. Workforce Solutions is seeing healthy growth in industries like healthcare, information technology, manufacturing, and construction. Many of these industries include roles that don’t require a college degree—just short-term credentials! Visit KVUE to learn more.
2) HAAM Day is BACK with its first in-person event in three years! Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM) Day is taking place today, Tuesday, September 13, benefiting low-income and working musicians in our community. HAAM provides low-income, working musicians in the greater Austin area with access to affordable health care with a focus on prevention and wellness.
The event began bright and early this morning with a speech by Mayor Steve Adler at the Moody Amphitheater and will continue throughout the rest of the day in the greater Austin area. Visit HAAM’s website to see today’s full lineup and learn how you can support our incredible creative community.
3) APD reports that a teenager in North Austin hit a pedestrian and left the area. A 17-year-old has been arrested and charged after hitting a wheelchair-bound pedestrian on Saturday September 3. FOX 7 reports that the pedestrian suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to a local hospital by emergency services.
Avila-Banagas was taken to the Travis County Jail on September 9 where he was charged in connection with the case with failure to stop and provide assistance, injuring a disabled person, illegally carrying a weapon and failing to provide identification . Visit FOX 7 Austin to learn more about this story.
4) Is the Austin real estate market cooling enough for young first-time buyers? Austin real estate experts report that now is Austin’s prime time for a minimal homebuying contest.
Ashley Jackson, President of the Austin Board of Realtors, said: “The market is slower than it has been in recent years and there is more inventory, more homes to choose from. So for a buyer, this means they face less competition when they buy a home.” CBS Austin has the full story here.
5) UT West Campus is finally getting brighter and safer! Austin Energy revised the lighting in the area to eliminate dark areas that were hotspots for crime. Problems ranged from cellphones being snatched from people’s hands to attacks on students. Improvements include: 600 streetlights were upgraded to brighter LED bulbs, broken light fixtures were repaired, 15 new streetlights were installed, and trees were trimmed to raise the canopies and allow for better lighting of the sidewalks below. Visit CBS Austin to learn more.
Today in Austin:
- HAAM Day in the Austin area. (6 o’clock in the morning)
- Low impact workout hosted by Stronger Austin. (7 o’clock in the morning)
- Cardio and Strength hosted by Stronger Austin. (8:30 am)
- Breast ultrasound screening at 6000 US-290. ($285 – 9am)
- AIA Austin Design Talks Presents: A Featured Discussion with Donna Carter at George Washington Carver Museum. (11:30 am)
- Cardio and Strength hosted by Stronger Austin. (6 p.m.)
- Zumba hosted by Stronger Austin. (6 p.m.)
- Hanson at Emo. (19 o’clock)
Community Chat 💬 :
- 🎤 Comedy legends head to town! Steve Martin and Martin Short bring their live comedy show to Austin. This is going to be good. (Austin 360 via Facebook)
- 💰 Cashback promotions are coming to HEB. HEB is launching a new debit card that will allow customers to receive cashback on qualifying branded products. (KVUE via Facebook)
- 🌮 New Restaurant Alert: Bulevar Mexican Kitchen opens on the former site of the Z’Tejas Arboretum. Hand-pressed tortillas, steaks, seared fish, crudos, fresh oysters and half an organic chicken with corn butter? Say no more! (Austin 360 via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
You’re officially posted today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update.
About me: Jessica has been happy to call Austin her home for over 10 years. She loves the outdoors, art and movies, food and all the natural beauty that Central Texas has to offer.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Contact me at DowntownAustin@patch.com